Our offices are located at:
2121 Avenue of the Stars, Suite 3000
Los Angeles, California 90067
152 West 57th Street, 28th Floor
New York, New York 10019
44 Montgomery Street, Suite 1280
San Francisco, California 94104
1155 F Street, NW
Washington, DC 20004
We can be reached via email at email@example.com.
If you are a California resident, please see the “Additional Disclosures for California Residents” section below. If you have any questions or wish to exercise your rights and choices, please contact us as set out in the “Contact Us” section below.
INFORMATION WE COLLECT AND HOW WE USE IT
In general, you do not have to provide information to use our website. We will only use your personal data where we are permitted to do so by applicable law.
When you visit our website, we automatically record information that your browser sends whenever you visit any website, including information such as your computer’s Internet Protocol address, browser type, the webpage you were visiting before you came to our website, pages of our website that you visit, the time spent on those pages, access times and dates, and other statistics. We use this information to monitor and analyze our visitors’ use of our website and for the website’s technical administration, to increase our website’s functionality and user-friendliness, and to better tailor the website to our visitors’ needs.
Most browsers accept cookies by default. You can instruct your browser to stop accepting cookies or to prompt you before accepting a cookie from the websites you visit by changing its options or by following the instructions set out here. Your ability to limit cookies is subject to your browser’s settings and limitations.
Your browser may also allow you to transmit a “Do Not Track” signal to websites you visit. Please note, however, that there is currently no universally agreed-upon standard for what a business should do when it detects a “Do Not Track” signal. For this reason, unless and until the law is interpreted to require us to do so, we do not monitor or take action with respect to “Do Not Track” signals. More information on “Do Not Track” is available here. Please be aware that if you disable or remove tracking technologies, some parts of the website may not function correctly.
Google provides tools to allow you to opt out of the use of certain information collected by Google Analytics here. Please note that if you opt out using this method, the opt-out will only apply to the specific browser or device from which you opt out. We are not responsible for the effectiveness of, or compliance with, any opt-out options or programs, or the accuracy of any other entities’ statements regarding their opt-out options or programs.
We may collect and process other types of personal data in the course of operating our business and providing our services. These include:
- Basic personal details such as your name and job title;
- Contact data such as your telephone number and postal or email address;
- Financial data such as payment-related information or bank account details;
- Personal data provided to us by or on behalf of our clients or generated by us in the course of providing our services, which may, where relevant, include special categories of personal data;
- Recruitment-related data such as your curriculum vitae or resume, your education and employment history, details of professional memberships and other information relevant to potential recruitment to Ellis George;
- Information from social networks when you engage with our content, reference our website, or grant us permission to access information from the social networks; and
- Any other personal data relating to you that you may provide.
Because it is not possible to anticipate every conceivable context in which information might be provided to us through our website, we can provide no assurance that any information you choose to provide to us via our website will be maintained as private.
We use the information collected above for various business and commercial purposes, including the following in the last twelve months:
- Providing our legal and other services to you and to conduct our business, including carrying out our obligations arising from any agreements entered into between you and us;
- Preventing and addressing fraud, breaches of policies or terms, and activity we may consider to be, or to pose a risk of being, illegal, unethical, or legally actionable, including threats or harm to the safety of the public or any person;
- Responding to requests for information or inquiries from visitors to our website and ensuring that content from our website is presented in the most effective manner for you and your device;
- Marketing and business development, including efforts to better understand your and our clients’ services and marketing requirements, and to better understand our business and develop our services;
- Recruiting, to enable us to process applications for employment submitted to Ellis George; and
- Fulfilling other business or commercial purposes at your direction or with your notice and/or consent.
Notwithstanding the above, we may use information that does not identify you (including information that has been aggregated or de-identified) for any purpose except as prohibited by applicable law. For information on your rights and choices regarding how we use information about you, please see the “Your Rights and Choices Regarding Your Personal Information” section below.
HOW WE SHARE INFORMATION
- Service Providers. We engage companies and individuals to perform services on our behalf for business purposes, including without limitation, to provide the website on our behalf, perform website-related services (e.g., without limitation, website design, maintenance services, database management, web analytics, and improvement of the website’s features), or to assist us in analyzing how our website is used. These service providers may have access to your information. These service providers are not authorized by us to use, retain, or disclose the information except as necessary to perform services on our behalf or to comply with legal requirements. We may permit them to use information that does not identify you (including information that has been aggregated or de-identified) for any purpose except as prohibited by applicable law.
- Professional Advisors and Partners. We may also process and share personal information with legal, financial, business, risk management, and other advisors, including but not limited to bankers, auditors, insurers, and insurance brokers. We may also process and share this information with third-party external advisors or experts engaged in the course of the services we provide to our clients and with their prior consent, such as technology service providers providing electronic discovery and document review platforms. If Ellis George receives your personal information and subsequently transfers that information to a third-party agent or service provider for processing, Ellis George will take reasonable steps to ensure that such third-party agent or service provider processes your personal information to the standard required by law.
- Government, Regulatory, and Law Enforcement Agencies. We may also disclose information about you that we have collected via our website to government or law enforcement officials or private parties as we, in our sole discretion, believe necessary or appropriate to respond to claims and legal process (including but not limited to subpoenas), to protect the property and rights of Ellis George or anyone else, to protect the safety of the public or any person, or to prevent or stop activity we may consider to be, or to pose a risk of being, illegal, unethical, or legally actionable.
- Facilitating Requests. We share information at your request or direction, such as when you choose to share information with a social network about your activities on the website.
Notwithstanding the above, we may share information that does not identify you (including information that has been aggregated or de-identified) except as prohibited by applicable law. For information on your rights and choices regarding how we share information about you, please see the “Your Rights and Choices Regarding Your Personal Information” section below.
USE OF SOCIAL MEDIA INTEGRATIONS
For your convenience and information, we may provide links to other websites, platforms, and services that we do not control. In addition, we integrate technologies operated or controlled by separate entities into parts of our website. Some examples include:
Links. Our website includes hyperlinks that link to websites, platforms, and other services not operated or controlled by us.
The website is intended for a general audience and is not directed at children under age thirteen. We do not knowingly collect personal information (as defined by the U.S. Children’s Privacy Protection Act, or “COPPA”) in a manner not permitted by COPPA. If you are a parent or guardian and you become aware that your child has provided us with information, or we have collected information from your child, in a manner not permitted by law, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will remove the data to the extent required by applicable law.
We do not knowingly “sell,” as that term is defined under the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”), the personal information of minors under sixteen years old who are California residents.
HOW WE STORE AND PROTECT YOUR INFORMATION
We recognize that data security is an integral element of the privacy of your information. While no data transmission (including over the Internet or any website) can be guaranteed to be secure from intrusion, we implement a range of commercially-reasonable physical, technical, and procedural measures to help protect personal data from unauthorized access, use, disclosure, alteration, or destruction in accordance with data protection law requirements.
Information that you provide to us through the use of the website is stored on our or our service providers’ secure servers and accessed and used subject to our security policies and standards, or those agreed upon with our service providers.
We will retain your personal information for as long as is necessary to fulfill the purpose for which this information was collected, as well as any other permitted and associated purpose, including but not limited to certain transaction details and correspondence related to legal services we provide. In such a case, this information may be retained until the time limit for claims concerning the transaction has expired or in order to comply with regulatory requirements regarding the retention of such data.
YOUR RIGHTS AND CHOICES REGARDING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
If you have any questions about our use of your personal data, you should first contact us via the details provided in the “Contact Us” section below. To help protect your privacy, we will take reasonable steps to verify your identity before granting access to your information.
Under certain circumstances and to the extent required by law, you may have the right to require us to:
- Provide you with further details on the use we make of your information;
- Provide you with a copy of information that we hold about you;
- Update any inaccuracies in the personal information we hold;
- Delete any personal information that we no longer have a lawful ground to use;
- Where the processing of personal information is based on consent, to withdraw your consent so that we stop that particular processing; and
- Restrict how we use your personal information while a complaint is being investigated.
While it is our policy to respect the rights of individuals, please be aware that your exercise of these rights is subject to certain exemptions to safeguard the public interest (such as the prevention or detection of crime), or our interests (such as the maintenance of legal privilege), and some of these rights may be limited (such as the right to withdraw consent) where we are required or permitted by law to continue processing your personal information to defend our legal rights or meet our legal and regulatory obligations.
Ellis George LLP
Attn: Data Protection Department
2121 Avenue of the Stars, Suite 3000
Los Angeles, California 90067
ADDITIONAL DISCLOSURES FOR CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS
Ellis George does not disclose personal information to third parties for those third parties’ own direct marketing purposes.
In the past twelve months, we have collected the following categories of personal information enumerated in the CCPA:
- Identifiers, including name, email address, phone number, and Internet Protocol address.
- Internet activity, including your interactions with our website.
- Employment and education data, including information you provide when you apply for a job with us.
- Government-issued identifiers such as Social Security Numbers or Passports, from our individual clients, prospective clients, or others, who are California residents and not representatives of businesses, if and to the extent necessary to provide legal services.
For more details on the information we collect, including the sources from which we receive information, and the business purposes for which we use it, review the “Information We Collect and How We Use It” section above.
Please review the “How We Share Information” section above for more detail about the parties with whom we share information.
Consumers who are California residents (and not representatives of businesses, whether those businesses are our clients or others) have the right to know certain information about our data practices in the preceding twelve months. In particular, they have the right to request the following from us:
- The categories of personal information we have collected about them;
- The categories of sources from which the personal information was collected;
- The categories of personal information about them that we disclosed for a business purpose or sold;
- The categories of third parties to whom the personal information was disclosed for a business purpose or sold; and
- The business or commercial purpose for collecting or selling the personal information.
In addition, in certain circumstances, California consumers have the right to delete the personal information we have collected from them. You have the right not to receive discriminatory treatment by us for the exercise of any of your rights.
To exercise any of these rights, California consumers should submit a request by emailing email@example.com with the subject line “California Privacy Rights Request.” You can also call us at (310) 274-7100.
In the request, please specify which right you are seeking to exercise and the scope of the request. We will confirm receipt of your request within ten business days. We may require specific information from you to help us verify your identity and process your request. If we are unable to verify your identity, we may deny your requests to know or delete.
You can designate an authorized agent to submit requests on your behalf. However, we will require written proof of the agent’s permission to do so and verify your identity directly.
Ellis George does not knowingly “sell” personal information as that term is defined under the CCPA.
INFORMATION FOR EUROPEAN ECONOMIC AREA RESIDENTS
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (“EEA”), you have certain rights and protections under applicable law regarding the processing of your personal information.
When processing is based on consent, you have the right to revoke such consent at any time. You also have the right to access personal information we hold about you and to ask that your personal information be corrected, erased, or transferred. You may also have the right to object to, or request that we restrict, certain processing. If you would like to exercise any of these rights, you may contact us as indicated above. If you have a concern about our processing of personal information that we are not able to resolve, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the data privacy authority where you reside. For contact details of your local Data Protection Authority, please see: http://ec.europa.eu/justice/data-protection/article-29/structure/data-protection-authorities/index_en.htm